Alzheimers' Playlist

05:27 , 0 Comments



Most of us, at some point in our lives, will get old. We will decline in many ways, both physically and mentally. When the only thing I have left is my memories, I want to make sure I will be able to remember them.

Working in care I see many people that are alone, can hardly remember their families, and their stories are all jumbled up. These aren't just people with Alzheimers or Dementia, it's part of getting old, but the risk of these diseases is high. It is estimated that dementia affects one in 14 people over the age of 65 and one in six over the age of 80.

If there's one thing I want to remember when I'm old, it's these backpacking trips.

Music is a fantastic way of inciting memories. Play some songs from your Grandmas era to her, you'll be amazed what she can remember. I'm sure you also have a song or two that remind you of a specific time, probably because the song was massively overplayed at that time, like how Lil Jons' "Get Low" always reminds me of Sixth Form parties. So anyway, you see what I mean.

Now to the point of this. For my trip around South East Asia I will create a playlist of 7 songs, one for each leg of my journey. I will play the chosen song for each leg every day when I wake up, so that when I'm 80, I can listen to this playlist, and remember the days of my youth, when I did mad shit and got into trouble and had a great time.

Thailand (1st leg) Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Laos                   It's Time - Imagine Dragons
Vietnam                    Scooby Snacks - Fun Lovin' Criminals
Cambodia                Get Your Freak On - Missy Elliot
Thailand (2nd leg)   In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry
Malaysia                   Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen
Indonesia                  Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

So there you have it, How to jog your memory when you're 80 and live in the best of your memories.

Travelling Twats

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Two 23 year olds going off backpacking and documenting both the research and (hopefully) traval stages. Maybe it will be helpful to some people? I don't know,